Tax Jurisdiction: Given a location, return the tax information.
You are on the Tax Jurisdiction Services Page in the Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) Section….
7. Tax Jurisdiction: Given a location, return the tax information.
- Locate Sales Tax and General Use Tax Rates
- Locate Insurance Premium Districts
- Locate Payroll Tax Districts
- Locate Property Tax Districts
- Locate Special Purpose Tax Districts
- Reverse Lookup using Tax Jurisdiction
Things to consider:
- Nearly 30% of ZIP codes in the US are in conflict with municipal, county, and state boundaries
- There are almost 4,800 changes to municipal boundaries every year
- Approximately 25% of all 19,000 incorporated municipalities in the U.S. change their boundaries each year.
- Special districts do not conform to other boundaries and can:
- Cross ZIP codes
- Exist within a portion of a ZIP code
- Consist of multiple, disconnected regions
- Change frequently
- Buffering capabilities allow you define areas that are close to tax jurisdictions. Circles, polygons and corridors (buffering lines) are supported.
These services are at present, US-only. Separate from this service, some of the boundary data can be licensed.
IMPORTANCE OF GEOCODING: Keep in mind that all calculations such as these depend on a quality geocode. These services will provide accurate answers for whatever is inputted, but if the coordinates aren’t right to begin with, the answers may not be right. Geocode coordinates from consumer systems like Google™ or Bing™ are often wrong enough that you would be getting wrong answers. We recommend using quality geocoding. See Geocoding above.